Our users have posted a total of 3643 messages in 622 subjects

Share | 

A little help??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: A little help??   Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Hey guys . . . been toying with the idea of how to make sure everyone gets the help they need with guns without anyone getting overwhelmed with so many repairs that they cannot keep up. Trying to come up with some suggested guidelines for "freebie" or low-cost repairs for Area13 members. Anyone who is willing to DO repairs is welcome to chime in and make suggestions while those who NEED repairs are welcome to ask questions.
Just trying to make sure no one gets exasperated with repairs but that we are able to "help a brutha out" What\\'s up Playa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: my suggestions . . .   Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:35 pm

DO's
1 ) We should start a armory parts bucket for springs, cylinders, spring guides, screws, etc. so that the "repairer" is not drawing freebie parts from his own stockpile. Anyone with "extra" parts should donate them for member use.
2 ) Any freebie repairs mean that non-damaged parts which are upgraded go into the armory bucket.
3 ) Anyone needing assistance should first contact the "armorers" to request assistance.
4 ) One gun per person may be in repair process at a time
5 ) Bring gun along with a towel and a one gallon plastic bag for diagnosis
6 ) Make notes of ALL known issues
7 ) Remove any sights, scopes, slings, etc.
8 ) If it is a repair, gun will be broken down at the field to diagnose.
9 ) Owner will retain gun/parts while repair parts are ordered by owner. (hence the plastic bag)
10 ) Needed parts will be brought back for repairs at the convenience of armorer for completion.
11 ) In the event of upgrades, new parts must be brought with gun at arranged time

DON'TS
1 ) Don't try to have more than one gun repaired at a time
2 ) Don't forget to ask if the armorer has time
3 ) Don't expect all freebie parts
4 ) Don't expect armorer to procure the parts
5 ) Don't get upset if more problems are discovered once the gun is cracked open
6 ) Don't forget the hopup bucking and other items can sometimes be damaged in the repair process and need replacement . . . that does not come out of the pocket of the guy working for free.
7 ) Don't forget to do something nice or at least offer to do something for the armorer . . . a bag of BBs or a patch speaks volumes about your appreciation!

Just a few of my suggestions . . .

Last edited by tinman on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alpine
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks Tinman for the post.

The only other things I can think to add are
write down any know defects of the gun when giving it to the tech such as cracked body,missing screws and such if leaving the complete gun remove straps, scopes, slings. make sure to give the tech time to work on it. So if it breaks during play don't expect it back in an hour.
That's all I can think of now sorry if I put down some of what Tinman might have said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks Alpine, I will update the armorers list as suggestions are made . . . we need to look into having an armorers patch for those who do these repairs! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frog

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:16 pm

I am not sure "freebie" repairs are good. But low cost is a must. Gun repairs, while not necessarily difficult, are still time consuming. To put a new spring in my gearbox, it took me thirty minutes, and that was trying to go fast. I don't recommend speed in repairs, but quality. I think that to honor the time those who will work on everyone's stuff, we need to come up with a better low cost solution. I am in no way opposed to helping with tech work, or doing upgrades, which is prolly more my thing. But either way, it is a lot of time. I don't want members paying in excess of forty dollars to have a gun opened up, but I don't think a "freebie" repair is a healthy or fair alternative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qbald

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 pm

I wish I coluld help but Barrels, hop ups and bucking upgrades is about my level of skill at this point.
I agree with frog about the "Time is money" if that's what he was saying? The only bad thing I can see about charging someone is the may expect some sort of warranty on the work done. I know all of the members who can tech guns take pride and stand behind their work as do I in my trade.
I will make a point to start picking up some sort of inexpencive part when I stop by AA. I can always afford to kick out a few bux for a Great cause. I think maybe an "Armory Bucket Needs" section of the forum may be cool. The "Armorer" can post up parts needed for donation in that section in hope someone has it just laying around or can pu that part in an order they are making.
Wich leads me to another topic that I will post now.

My name is a letter

NUFF SAID!

Hoping to be MilSim when I grow up! AS IF that is ever gonna happen!
Currently 68% MilSim 12% Grown up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frog

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:21 pm

I agree Q, I am not sure money is the answer. Although you can go pay 40 dollars for tech work and still get no warranty. My thoughts tend more to a small field donation, or BBs, or something like that. I also have a few things I could throw in the armory bucket.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qbald

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 am

I like the idea of bag o Bb's or something of the like for the Armorer as an sign of apreation but I think a donation to OP Homefront for the repairs would be great incentive for the tech as well. No one here wants to take money from their buddies so a charity donation would be Awesome.
Certain repairs woud require a cetian amount of a cash donation.
I do not know what all is involved time wise n each type of repair so a post on donation repair costs would be great. That way the player in need knows the menu and there are no surprises. After a year of fixin guns the club may have a good little gift for our selected charity.
Of course the player in need will have to supply any new parts needed that are not in the Armory bucket. I also would like a list of popular parts that seem to be used in repairs.

My name is a letter

NUFF SAID!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:51 am

I think each person willing to do repairs oughta set their own standard . . .

IMHO, if you are a person wanting work done, you oughta say, "Dude, what can I do for you to say thanks?" I get that all the time and I usually say "nothing."

However, if you ask a guy and he says:
-I could really use $20
-Just throw a piston in with your order
-Just get me a bag of BBs
-Pick up my entry fee at the next travel OP
-Do some repairs, add a bunker, or trash pick up at the field
Then those are all still a good deal! and if you have an extensive repair you know they are!! affraid

My main thing is etiquitte related. If the tech has to store your gun and order your parts then it is more hassle then it is worth. If he has to throw in a little part here and there on everyone's repair then he has no spares to keep his own gun running. Nothing worse than a tech having to replace an antireverse spring in his own gun and realizing he gave his last one to someone else.

I will add that there are two things a tech likes to see:
1) You are taking interest in learning to repair your own
2) If you cannot learn, you adjust by being appreciative and helpful in other ways.

I will say my experience has been great! Folks whom I have helped have begged to do more than I let them. I have gotten some cool gifts and gotten a ton of free gatorade in the process! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alpine
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:30 am

I like the Homefront idea. Also tech and players can work it out in trade such as gear or other airsoft equipment.

And Q I don't think no one can hold a candle to you tech'n on an MP7. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frog

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 pm

The reason I decided to learn to work on my own gun is that I refused to pay someone else 40 bucks or more to do it. So cheapness was definitely a motivation. But you guys need to understand, if I can do this, any of you can. I am not particularly mechanically inclined. I do NOT work on cars, bikes, air conditioners, r/c cars, or really anything mechanical. It once took me two days to install a storm door. The first time I went solo on a gear box it took me almost 8 hours and countless tries to get it back together. Now, it is no problem. I know almost all of you have to be more mechanically minded than I. Plus, most of you don't have fingers the width of a jumbo hot dog. If I can learn, I promise you, you can learn. And the best part is, while you are learning, there are plenty of us around to help you get past any problems you might have. Gotta run, I have a gun to work on!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BOOTS

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 pm

AMEN to everything said here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Would also like to suggest that we build an armory table. (This would be installed near where the danger ranger normally sits.) If each interested member could bring one TREATED 2x6x8' and one TREATED 2x4x8' then we would have enough to build a great work table for quick field tech issues!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qbald

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:02 pm

tinman wrote:
Would also like to suggest that we build an armory table. (This would be installed near where the danger ranger normally sits.) If each interested member could bring one TREATED 2x6x8' and one TREATED 2x4x8' then we would have enough to build a great work table for quick field tech issues!!
Awesome....I'm in

My name is a letter

NUFF SAID!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alpine
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm in also. we can run a drop cord out to it also to have power. And the shaded area is a welcome in the summer. It would also help out to set up the reg book for new players. And can also hold the homefront and game cans. What a Face

Man I hope this will be a big table I'm filling up the space already!!!!!!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:33 pm

alpine wrote:
Man I hope this will be a big table I'm filling up the space already!!!!!!!!! Razz

I am shooting for 3x8 table surface!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kramer

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:25 pm

I'll throw in some stuff for the table and in my next order I'll get some extra parts. What if we had a day where those of us noobs could learn a few things from the veterans. Especially the shimming of gears and wiring harness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tinman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Kramer wrote:
I'll throw in some stuff for the table and in my next order I'll get some extra parts. What if we had a day where those of us noobs could learn a few things from the veterans. Especially the shimming of gears and wiring harness.
If we can get the table built it will allow for great opportunities to learn!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little help??   

Back to top Go down

A little help??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Area13airsoft :: Reviews and Questions :: Guns and Gear Questions-